Crewe hotel descends into ‘chaos’ as guests evacuated due to gas leak | Local News | News
A hotel chain in Crewe was thrown into ‘chaos’ as all guests were evacuated and moved to another venue – after a serious gas leak.
The Holiday Inn Express, Macon Way, was evacuated on Friday (January 6) – due to a gas leak.
The 64-room hotel called all guests to the front desk, where they were asked to leave the building with all their belongings.
Holiday Inn Express called all guests to the front desk where they were asked to leave the building with all their belongings (Ryan Parker).
“It was a mess with people confused with suitcases,” said guest Monica England.
Holiday Inn Express has found rooms for guests at the Travelodge on Beswick Drive – 1.3 miles away.
Former South Cheshire resident Monica was in the Crewe area to attend two funerals.
She told Nub News: “I had booked three nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Crewe.
“I had to go to reception around 7pm on Friday, where I was told that the hotel had to be evacuated due to a gas leak.
Holiday Inn Express found rooms for guests at the Travelodge, Beswick Drive – 1.3 miles away (Google).
“It was a mess with people wandering around confused with suitcases. I was afraid there would be an explosion.
“They got me a room at the Travelodge, near the Duke of Gloucester pub.”
Some guests waited until the early hours of Saturday (January 7) to be transferred to another hotel.
Some had to walk 1.3 miles to the Travelodge with all their belongings.
McDonald’s, Macon Way, is in front of the Holiday Inn Express. Some guests had to walk 1.3 miles to the Travelodge with all their belongings (Ryan Parker).
Monica added: “I took a young man from America who didn’t know his way around. Others took taxis.
“Some people had to walk and were transferred to the Travelodge in the early hours of the morning.
“I had to pay for the room at Travelodge. I was promised a refund from Holiday Inn Express for the night.
“There was a lot of anger and excitement as I visited the area to attend two funerals for relatives of friends.”
Holiday Inn Express confirmed to Nub News that there was a gas leak but did not comment (Ryan Parker).
The Holiday Inn Express is just 0.3 miles from Crewe Train Station and has now reopened.
The Crewe Hotel confirmed to Nub News there was a gas leak but made no comment.
CONTINUE READING: Real wages in Crewe and Nantwich have fallen by 3.5% over the past 13 years.
Free of clickbait, pop-up ads and unwanted polls, Crewe Nub News is a quality online newspaper for our town.
Subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletter via email HERE – Just click on the “SIGN UP” button.
Please consider following Crewe Nub News on Facebook or Twitter.