Police name man from Exeter who died from stab wound in city centre

Police name man from Exeter who died from stab wound in city centre

An Exeter man who died of a stab wound in the city center has been identified by police as Stephen Cook, aged 45.

The father of two, known locally for highlighting the plight of homelessness after living on the streets, died in Exeter city center on Saturday night (28 January) from a stab wound in what police are describing as a “quarrel”.

Detectives have launched a murder inquiry and a Dorset suspect remains in police custody after Stephen died in hospital of his injuries following an incident on Sidwell Street around 8.10pm.

Police said a 19-year-old from Christchurch, Bournemouth, who was arrested on suspicion of murder, remains in custody.

Sidwell Street was closed pending police investigations.
Photo: IoE.


Police at the scene in Exeter city centre.
Photo: IoE.


Sidwell Street was closed for several hours after police cordoned off the area.
Photo: IoE.

A 29-year-old woman from Exeter and a 32-year-old man from Exmouth, who had been arrested on suspicion of a fight, were released on police bail to return on Thursday April 27.

A 19-year-old without a permanent address who was arrested on suspicion of murder faces no further police action in this case. He was further arrested on suspicion of beating and released on police bail to make a report on Thursday April 27.

Devon and Cornwall Police said officers would investigate in Exeter while officers pieced together the events leading up to Stephen’s death.

Detective Inspector Stephanie Blundell, who is leading the investigation, said: “The investigation is ongoing and residents should expect to see further police activity in Exeter related to this investigation over the coming week.”

She added: “As the investigation is ongoing, we would like to ask people not to speculate about the circumstances of this case on social media.”

The Sidwell Street area was closed to the public until the early hours of Monday morning (January 30).

Police want to hear from anyone who saw what happened, has information, dashcam or CCTV footage.

After Stephen’s death, floral tributes and stuffed animals were laid out outside a shop on Sidwell Street.

A police spokesman said: “A murder investigation has been launched after police were called to an altercation in Sidwell Street, Exeter, at around 8.10pm on Saturday 28 January.

“Officers and paramedics were present and a man was found with a stab wound.

“He was taken to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

“The police cordon on Sidwell Street was lifted around 2.30am on Monday 30 January.”

  • Report any information here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *