Teen denies murdering Christchurch dog walker

Teen denies murdering Christchurch dog walker


Flowers can be seen at the entrance to Bexley Reserve on Pages Rd in Christchurch. Nigel Wilson, 62, was allegedly stabbed repeatedly while walking his dog at the entrance to the reserve on November 14 and later died in hospital.

An 18-year-old man accused of repeatedly stabbing a dog walker in Christchurch has made his first appearance before the High Court.

Bailey Messervy appeared before Judge Cameron Mander in Christchurch High Court on Friday and, through his attorney Tony Garrett, pleaded not guilty to murder.

Two suspected accomplices also emerged – two women whose names cannot be released.

The appearance was Messervy’s first before the High Court following the death of Nigel Wilson.

* Seven other sex victims are cited in the trial of the alleged rapist
* Attack on mosque in Christchurch: no date yet for the conviction of the shooter
* Accused Christchurch terror attack will not appear at next court hearing

Wilson’s family became concerned when his dog returned home without him in the early hours of the morning.

Wilson, 62, was rushed to hospital after relatives found him critically injured around 6.20am on November 14 near the Pages Rd entrance to the Bexley Reservation. He died in hospital eight days later.

The two alleged accomplices will face separate charges of aiding and abetting murder after the crime, for allegedly helping Messervy evade police after the incident.

One of the women has pleaded not guilty, while the other has not yet entered a plea.

With both women, their tentative arrangements to suppress the name continued at least until their next date in March.


Susan with her dog Gibbs. Susan regularly walks her dog at Bexley Reserve, but after being stabbed, she goes for a walk with someone else.

A supporter from Messervy’s court and the couple waved at each other on Friday morning as Messervy sat in the dock. Messervy called out to her as he was brought back to the cells.

In a previous circuit court appearance, Messervy’s attorney asked the court to order that his client be kept separate from other adult prisoners until his next court appearance. He did not explain why this was requested.

The request was granted.

Messervy and the women were arrested after police raided two properties on Corhampton Street, Aranui, just 500m from the reserve, two days after the attack.

He was remanded in custody and they were remanded on bail, only to appear again on March 10.

Police previously said Wilson was stabbed repeatedly while walking his dog in what they described as a “brutal” attack.

The victim lived a short walk from where she was attacked. Police said his family had asked for privacy.

One of Wilson’s children started a Givealittle page in November asking for help from the public to help cover costs associated with his death.

“We dropped everything to be by the bed with Dad and want to be able to grieve without the weight of financial burdens on top of an already unfathomably difficult time,” the site said in a statement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *