FC Romania 0 Welwyn Garden City 4 – Southern League report

FC Romania 0 Welwyn Garden City 4 – Southern League report

Welwyn Garden City celebrated a second win under their new coach and did it in style – with a four-goal win over FC Romania.

Both of Marc Weatherstone’s successes are on the road, the first of which was an impressive 2-1 win at promotion pursuers Ware.

That 4-0 win at Cheshunt was no less good, equalizing back-to-back home defeats with the same result.

The hosts arrived after a 6-0 defeat at the hands of Walthamstow on Saturday but their main objective had been achieved with the return of their original management team who appeared to be staving off the threat of extinction.

Romania had recruited an all-new squad in a week, including former citizen Jordan Kinoshi, but they were no match for a Welwyn team that grew in confidence once they got ahead.

That came after 10 minutes and in the away team’s first real attack.

Cyrus Babaie turned well from 20 meters and his powerful shot flew past Lee Axworthy into the Romanian goal.

Bailey Stevenson got away on the right and delivered a superb cross that a full stretch Max Jessop just narrowly skewed past a post.

And it was three minutes before the break when WGC doubled their lead.

Carlos Flood hit the right corner in the center for a rampaging Ryan Doherty to score with a powerful header.

Axworthy blocked it but the Romanian defense couldn’t clear and in the scrum that followed Doherty bit the cherry twice.

WGC had debuted Zak Brown from the start and 10 minutes into the second half they brought on Callum Nicolson for Jack Vasey from Luton Town on loan.

Another of the newer faces was the next to get something going, Ryan Kirwan, who crossed Babaie to get in the goal.

Axworthy parried it and this time his defense did the rest, clearing the loose ball.

The home side had their first serious attack on goal just after the hour mark, but first Phil Lowen and then Doherty got into excellent blocks to deny them any reward.

Nicolson combined well with Kirwan on the left, the move ending in a shot at the near post which Axworthy turned full length behind him.

But just moments later, Welwyn scored the third with the evening’s move.

Kirwan and Flood traded passes down the left before Flood sliced ​​inside.

And his delicious cross was gobbled up by Stevenson, who rose in front of the keeper for a lovely header.

And the young former Colney Heath forward who was recently recruited by Cockfosters wasn’t done yet.

With three minutes left, a horrific error from Romania’s Ichim Stevenson presented the ball and he sped clear to slam it past Axworthy to become No. 4 and his third goal in four games since joining WGC.

Welwyn are now ninth in the Southern League Division One Central table, four points behind Cirencester Town in last play-off place.

The Citizens go to bottom Barton Rovers on Saturday despite shocking Gloucestershire’s play-off chasing side last time out.

WGC: Crowley, Franklin, Brown, Doherty, Kirwan, Lowen, Vasey (Nicolson 55), Jessop (Luque 76), Stevenson, Babaie (Hernandez 76), Flood.

Subs (not used): Hatton, Mulley.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *