Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has all charges dropped
Charges of attempted rape and assault against Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood have been dropped by prosecutors.
Greater Manchester Police said criminal proceedings against a 21-year-old man had been dropped on February 2.
Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s head of public protection, said: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man who has been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022 will no longer be prosecuted in this regard.
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the Legal Department, provided important updates and therefore understands the reasons for closing the case at this stage and that this decision was not taken lightly.
“Despite media and public interest in this case, we have decided not to comment further.
“However, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigate allegations of violence against women and girls and to support those affected, regardless of their circumstances, at this potentially difficult and troubling time.
“An ever-increasing number of officers are receiving specialized training, and the force is more consistently using the tools available through the criminal justice system to keep people safe and care for victims.
“If you believe you are, or may be, a victim, please do not let this case prevent you from seeking help.”
Greenwood has been suspended by United since news of his arrest was confirmed in January last year.
A statement from the club said: “Manchester United takes note of the prosecutors’ decision to drop all charges against Mason Greenwood.
“The club will now conduct its own process before determining the next steps. We will have no further comment until this process is complete.”
The PA news agency understands Greenwood will not return to play or training while United conduct their own internal investigation.
The club hopes to gain a clearer understanding of the circumstances of the allegations against Greenwood before deciding their next steps.
It is unclear how long this will take and has not been initiated so as not to pre-empt criminal proceedings.
The Bradford-born Greenwood player graduated from United Academy and made his senior debut for the Red Devils in a Champions League win at Paris St Germain in March 2019.
He has a senior cap for England and will play in the Nations League game against Iceland in September 2020.
Greenwood was charged in October with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercing behavior, and one count of assault.
A decision had been made to cease prosecution under the Code for Crown Prosecutors, the CPS said.
A spokesman said: “We have a duty to keep the cases under review.
“In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material coming to light meant that there was no longer a realistic prospect of a conviction. In these circumstances, we are obliged to close the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and make a complaint to the police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is passed.”