Rashford scores as Man United beat Burnley

Rashford scores as Man United beat Burnley


LONDON: Marcus Rashford celebrated his return from World Cup duty with a brilliant solo goal as Manchester United advanced to the quarter-finals of the League Cup with a 2-0 win over Burnley on Wednesday, while Premier League rivals Brighton fell through third was defeated. stage Charlton.

United’s first game since the World Cup was also their first since Cristiano Ronaldo’s dramatic departure from Old Trafford and the announcement by the owning Glazer family that they were ready to sell the football giants.

The Red Devils took the lead in the 27th minute with a close-range finish from Denmark’s Christian Eriksen, which was also used at Qatar 2022.

Rashford, who scored three goals for England at the World Cup, doubled United’s lead against League Two leaders Burnley, who were managed by former Manchester City star Vincent Kompany, in superb style just before the hour mark.

The England striker ran from his own half into the away gallery before drilling a shot deep into the net.

“There’s space in front of you and you’re almost waiting for the right moment to get a pass but the gap opened up and luckily it went in,” Rashford told Sky Sports.

This was Rashford’s first game since England’s agonizing loss to France in the World Cup quarter-finals. The forward said: “It was such a disappointing feeling to be knocked out and you have to pick yourself up.

“You don’t have time to feel sorry for yourself. You have to pick up results and luckily we did that today.”

United manager Erik ten Hag added: “There’s still room for improvement but I’m happy to win.

“The players are hungry after the World Cup break.”

Burnley manager Kompany was proud of his side’s performance, saying: “We didn’t roll over, we were aggressive, we were up front, we created a few chances.”

Brighton were eliminated on penalties three days after their Argentinian star Alexis Mac Allister won the World Cup with Argentina on penalties.

Mac Allister was not involved on Wednesday after being released following his World Cup exploits and was therefore spared any involvement with Charlton in south-east London.

After a goalless draw, the game went to penalties, with an exceptional shootout that started with Pascal Gross, Jayden Stockley and Leandro Trossard all hitting the wood.

Brighton keeper Jason Steele saved from George Dobson and Jesurun Rak-Sakyi.

That gave Solly March a chance to win the game, but the Seagulls star shot high over the bar.

Addicks goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer then saved Moises Caicedo’s penalty, with Sam Lavelle scoring the decisive goal at The Valley as League One won Charlton 4-3 on penalties to secure a place in the Quarters.

“I’m sorry about the result and we’re sorry for our fans, we wanted to win the game and go through to the quarter-finals,” said Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi.

“We had chances to score. And you can lose on penalties.”

Charlton interim boss Anthony Hayes, in charge of his last game before Dean Holden, the club’s fifth manager in less than two years, takes over, said: “It was a special night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *