Liverpool weather: Met Office forecast – will it snow?
Liverpool was one of a number of UK cities to have seen snow fall in the last few days before Christmas 2022.
Christmas weather arrived in Merseyside over the weekend as snow hit Liverpool. The Met Office weather forecast for the coming week answers that important question – will it snow again in Liverpool?
Wintry conditions hit the UK as snow, ice and freezing fog swept across the nation, causing widespread travel disruption. There have been delayed trains, motorway collisions and canceled flights, and forecasters warn the chilly weather will continue.
Merseyrail has warned that the freezing conditions are causing a number of problems on their rail network. Service may be disrupted throughout Monday and passengers are advised to inquire about service issues prior to travel.
The Met Office has already issued a number of weather warnings for Liverpool and the surrounding north-west region of late, with one for ice and fog currently in effect until 11am Monday morning. Experts warn temperatures could drop as low as -15℃, making it the lowest temperature in the UK since February 2021. In Liverpool, freezing temperatures could drop as low as -8℃ overnight.
Steve Willington, chief meteorologist at the Met Office, said: “It will remain cold as daytime temperatures remain just a few degrees above freezing in many locations over the coming days and overnight temperatures drop to -10C or below in isolated locations. Although these temperatures are below average, they are not that unusual for this time of year. There is still a risk that we could see freezing fog in places, particularly in southern England.
What is the weather forecast for Liverpool this week and will the Merseyside city see the snow return? Here’s everything you need to know.
Liverpool Met Office weather forecast for the week
- Monday, December 12: Yellow warning for ice and fog until 11:00 am, expected to be dry all day but cool with sunny intervals and lows of -3℃ – no snow expected
- Tuesday 13 December: Overcast and overcast most of the day, cool conditions expected to persist with lows of -1°C – no snow expected
- Wednesday, December 14: Clear skies all day with sunshine expected as well as cool conditions with lows of -1℃ – no snow expected
- Thursday 15 December: Clear skies all day with sunshine and cool temperatures with lows of 1℃ – no snow expected
- Friday 16 December: Cloudy all day, cool conditions expected to persist with lows of 1°C – no snow expected
- Saturday, December 17: Cloudy all day with temperatures expected to be less cold with lows of 4℃ – no snow expected
- Sunday, December 18: Cloudy beginning which turns to heavy rain for the rest of the day, peaking at 12pm, temperatures similar to Saturday with lows of 4℃ – no snow expected