League One: Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County both win

League One: Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County both win

Sheffield Wednesday capitalized on Town’s late stumble yesterday to extend their lead over the Blues in second place in the League One table.

Will Vaulks’ early goal secured a 1-0 win at promotion pursuers Wycombe.

The Owls are now four points ahead of Town with both sides having a game in hand against leaders Plymouth.

Red-hot Derby County are fourth, seven points adrift of Kieran McKenna’s side after they won 3-2 at Cheltenham from behind.

Paul Warnes Derby County is in great shape (Image: PA wire/PA images)

The home side had taken an early lead from Caleb Taylor’s header, but Conor Hourihane soon nodded to level.

The Rams completed the turnaround in the 11th minute with a great long-range shot from Max Bird and Tom Barkhuizen made it 3-1 just before the hour mark.

Alfie May’s melee provided a thrilling finish, but the Rams finished the game with a third straight win and extended their unbeaten streak to 12 league games.

Bolton continued their own play-off push with a 3-0 win over Portsmouth without a manager.

Dion Charles got the hosts going after 15 minutes, Kieran Lee doubled the lead early in the second half and Eoin Toal ended the game with a late third.

Barnsley saw their hopes with a 2-0 defeat at Charlton, where goals in each half from winger Tyreece Campbell and Jesurun Rak-Sakyi secured the points for the home side, who celebrated their third consecutive league win.

At the other end of the table, bottom Forest Green fought their way to a 1-1 draw in Exeter.

Rovers took the lead in the 54th minute through Jordon Garrick, who made his debut after arriving from Swansea.

East Anglian Daily Times: Jevani Brown scored for Exeter CityJevani Brown scored for Exeter City (Image: PA wire/PA images)

Exeter fought back to equalize with 15 minutes remaining through a fine strike from substitute Jevani Brown, hitting the woodwork twice late on.

Shrewsbury returned to winning ways with a 4-0 win over Burton.

Christian Saydee put the Shrews ahead after just 20 seconds and followed up with a curling finish just before the break.

Luke Leahy pushed in from the penalty spot on the hour and Chey Dunkley headed in fourth in added time.

Accrington made it out of the bottom four with a 2-0 win over promotion pursuers Bristol Rovers, with substitute Tommy Leigh and defender Ryan Astley scoring in the second half.

Elsewhere, Ciaron Brown’s late goal helped Oxford beat Fleetwood 2-1.

Brendan Wiredu put the hosts ahead at the end of the first half before Kyle Joseph equalized just after coming on in the 62nd minute and Brown took all three points straight away after a scramble on goal.

MK Dons and Lincoln played a goalless draw, while Cambridge’s game against Morecambe was postponed for safety reasons after overnight winds damaged the roof of the main stand at Abbey Stadium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *