About the spot
Job title: manufacturing engineer
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Order type: Fixed term, 12 months fixed term
A number of recently won orders from our sister company have meant that we need to expand our team. There has never been a more exciting time as a Manufacturing Engineer in Responsive Engineering with opportunities to contribute to the UK armored vehicle programmes. Working with the latest technologies, processes and skills.
This role is part of our ongoing expansion plans, with more to come in the future. As part of these new contracts, we plan to invest in new equipment, expand our service offerings, and further strengthen our positive impact on the local community by capitalizing on exciting opportunities that are critical to our national defense and local prosperity.
The Manufacturing Engineer reports to the Principal Manufacturing Engineer and works as part of the engineering team. He is responsible for translating customer requirements and specifications into ERP work plans and manufacturing schedules to meet customer quality and technical specifications in the most cost effective manner and in accordance with our policies and procedures. You will develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods using knowledge of product design, materials and parts, manufacturing and machining processes, tooling and production equipment skills, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Ensure customer specifications and quality requirements are thoroughly reviewed and understood and incorporated into all work plans and documentation
- Creation of process drawings (including DXFs) and review of existing process drawings to ensure component compliance
- Define and create drawings for fixture and tooling requirements for manufacturing
- Effectively manage process changes to minimize quality and scrap risk. Communicate and implement all changes, capturing quality and specification achievement and demonstrating it at the appropriate stages of the manufacturing process
- Create detailed work plans within the ERP system, including material requirements and documentation that detail the manufacturing method and construction sequences, showing target times for each operation, aligned with contract budgets
- Work with procurement to determine product specifications for the correct purchase of equipment, materials or parts, and evaluate products against specifications and quality standards
- Identify improvement opportunities, waste elimination and cost reduction.
- Conduct PFMEA and risk assessments
- During the product review and manufacturing process, you will manage all subsequent technical inquiries by collaborating with external/internal customers
- Before and during manufacture, consult the operations team on product requirements and specifications to ensure the manufacturing method and construction procedures are understood, agreed upon and followed
- Output and control of drawings, creation of sequences for the production team
- Assist in investigation and root cause analysis of external customers and internal NCRs as needed and ensure corrective and preventive actions are incorporated into existing/future routings and build sequences
- Improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflows, space requirements, and facility layout. Support the business by identifying high ROI projects and creating and presenting ROI justifications
- Assist and project management in the introduction of new manufacturing processes and equipment, ensuring project timelines and quality gates are met to ensure project delivery on time and on schedule
You will need a degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent with prior experience working in a manufacturing environment – understanding of profiling, fabrication, welding, painting and machine operation with the ability to interpret complex mechanical and engineering drawings. You should have a positive approach, with the ability to work as part of a team and prioritize effectively while meeting strict deadlines.
A successful candidate must be able to obtain and maintain the required security clearance as required.
- This position offers an attractive employment package including:
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days vacation per year + public holidays
- Employer-funded pension
- life insurance
- Wage waiver programs including cycle to work
- Early end on a Friday
Please click on the USE Button to submit your resume and cover letter for the position.
Candidates with experience or relevant job titles such as: Development Engineer, Design Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Process Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Production Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Project Engineer, Production Project Engineer will also be considered for the position.